Charismatic, sassy, warm and extremely talented, freelance make up artist Ebony creates make up looks with effortless precision and artistic flair. Despite being heavily pregnant and having a crazy schedule, she was kind enough to answer a few questions right before Christmas (my timing is spot on, huh?), which I’ve wanted to know ever since I discovered her amazing talent on You Tube.
1. You have lovely skin, I’m jealous. Apart from great genes – which skincare products do you swear by and what do you do to maintain its healthy and supple condition?
Thanks! I keep my skincare routine rather simple. I find that a consistent regime of cleanse, tone, exfoliate (once or twice a week), and moisturise…gets the job done. Of course diet and water intake plays a huge part in skin care…but I’m guilty of not drinking enough water and my skin does suffer at times. Here are a list of the products I’m currently using:
Cleanser: Shea Moisture African Black Soap Wash – (love this)
Toner: Thayers Original Witch Hazel w/ Aloe Vera
Exfoliator: Exfoliating Facial Sponges w/ Black Soap cleanser
Moisturizer: Embryolisse Lait Crème Concentrait or a Shea Butter Mix
2. What are your must have blush shades?
1. Russet (La Femme)
2. Taj Majal (Nars)
3. Aruba ( Sleek)
4. Sun Power MSF (MAC)
5. Purple Passion (La Femme)
6. Suede (La Femme)
3. You’re well known for your wig videos on your You Tube channel. Which has been your favourite to wear so far?
I honestly don’t wear wigs that often in my everyday life. The wigs I have worn out would be:
· Beshe Drew Wig
· Mommy Wig (Janet Collection)
· Beshe Shelly
· Afro Curl Wig (It’s a Wig)
I have a few lace wigs that are really nice, but I’m so used to my natural hair that’s its taking me some time to wear them for an extended period of time. I will eventually.
4. What tends to be your daily face?
· Graftobian HD Foundation (Ginger)
· Neutral Eye w/ a pop of color (eyeshadow colors vary from gold to subtle duochrome colors), with a colored eyeliner.
· Mascara on natural lashes
· MAC Sun Power MSF on cheeks
· Nude or Coral lip (shades and brands vary)
5. As a make up artist, what tends to be the first thing you notice about other women’s make up?
As a makeup artist, the first thing I notice about others’ makeup would be THE BROWS. If the brows are too strong…that takes all of the focus away from the face. I also notice incompatible lip colors. Lip colors that are too bright and not blended well.
Well, with motherhood and my current pregnancy, I’m not as active as I used to be as a makeup artist. That’s the beauty of being your own boss! As a stay-at-home mom, I feel blessed to have the opportunity to use my creativity and do what I love in front of my camera…in the comfort of home. Now, it’s not easy to accomplish everything in the timeframe that I’d like because I have so many other duties as a wife and mother…and I am still learning how to balance it all.
7. Who are your beauty icons?
· Grace Jones
· Dorothy Dandridge
· Diana Ross
· Lauryn Hill
8. What’s the one piece of beauty advice you’ve always remembered?
Beauty begins with confidence and humility.
9. Favourite make up tools?
· Real Techniques Face Brushes
· Buffing brush (for foundation)
· Lashes: Red Cherry #600 or #28
· Sonia Kashuk Blending Sponge
· Elf Angled Contour Brush (for concealer)
· Elf Powder Brush (for powder set)
10. You rock a mean red lip. What are your fave red lipsticks?
· NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream – Monte Carlo
· NYX Matte Lip Stick – Perfect Red
· NYX Round Lip Stick – Hero
· Loreal Hip Liquid Lip Color – Turbulent
11. Best drugstore beauty buys?
· Revlon Colorstay foundation
· Ardell Brow Defining Kit
· Milani Baked Eyeshadows; Liquifeye eyeliners
· Black Opal Stick Foundation
· Black Opal Total coverage Spot & Scar Eraser
· Black Opal Invisible Oil Blocking Powder
· ELF Makeup Wipes
· Loreal Lineur Intense Carbon Black
· Ruby Kisses Gel Liner and 24 Hr Eyeshadow Magic Eyeshadow Primer
12. If you only have five (okay ten!) minutes to get ready for a night out, what would your ‘face’ be?